AB 104

June 26, 2023

AB 104

State Assembly Bill (AB) 104 provides options for students and parents/guardians to address learning recovery needs. Each area of the new law is described below.

Student Retention for 2021-2022
Parents/guardians of students enrolled in kindergarten through 11th grade during the 2020-21 school year who received deficient grades for at least one-half of the coursework in 2020-21 may provide a written request to the school for a meeting to discuss student retention for the 2021-22 school year. Staff will meet with the parent/guardian and student to discuss learning recovery options, research regarding retention, and data regarding student progress. The District has the final decision. If you are interested in a discussion regarding retention, please contact your child’s school.

Opportunity to Change Grades to Pass No/Pass
Students who were enrolled in high school during the 2020-21 school year may apply to have one or more letter grades replaced with a Pass/No Pass Grade. Our application process can be found on our website and at the websites for Rancho Cotate High School, El Camino High School and Technology High School.
The California State University system must accept Pass/No Pass Grades without prejudice for an applicant who had enrolled in a high school in the state during any school year from 2020-21 to 2023-24. Some higher education institutions, including those from other states, may not accept Pass/No Pass Grades. A separate letter with details on grade change is being provided to families of high school students.

Graduation Requirements
Students enrolled in their 3rd or 4th year of high school during the 2020-21 school year and who are not on track to graduate in four years, will be provided the opportunity to complete the state graduation requirements to graduate. Options can include, but are not limited to, a fifth year of instruction or credit recovery. We are in the process of identifying eligible students and will provide more information as it becomes available.

If you have any questions, please contact your child’s school.

See below for specific Documentation including High School grade changes.

High School Families

This news applies to high school students in the Classes of 2021, 2022, 2023, and 2024

CRPUSD High School Families,

On Thursday, July 1, 2021, Governor Newsom signed Assembly Bill 104 into law and we would like to provide you with important information on how this legislation may relate to your student.

Changing Letter Grades to Pass/No Pass
Per AB104, parents/guardians of students who were enrolled in high school during the 2020-21 school year may request to have a letter grade earned for a course changed to a Pass or No Pass on the student's transcript.

An official form to submit a grade change for Pass/No Pass will be sent to CRPUSD families on August 17, 2021. Once it is sent, parents/guardians will have 15 calendar days to turn it in on behalf of their student, the last day to submit the request is August 31, 2021. Per the legislation, districts may not accept requests for a grade change after that date. Once a form is received by CRPUSD, the District then has 15 days to make the change on the student’s transcript and notify the family. Please note: Students who are currently over the age of 18 may submit a grade change to Pass/No Pass independently from their parent/guardian.

The course requested for a Pass/No Pass must have been taken during the 2020-21 school year. There is no restriction on which courses or which letter grades can be changed.

The change cannot negatively impact a student's GPA. When an “F” is converted to a “No Pass,” the zero credits are no longer factored into the GPA. Similarly, changing a “D” or even a “C” letter grade to a “Pass” will likely increase a student’s GPA, depending on the GPA the student had prior to the grade change. No grade changes will be made that lower a student’s GPA.

CDE will post a list of universities who will accept a Pass/No Pass - UC colleges and private universities are encouraged, but not required, to notify the CDE over the next two weeks about whether they will accept Pass/No Pass marks for purposes of admission. CRPUSD has included a link in this document to this list of universities accepting the Pass or No Pass grade change.

Please note that the official application to submit a grade change to pass/no pass will be sent within the next week.